Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Oh good Grief....

Everyone should feel very bad for my daughter. Come to find out, Ella not only suffered from strep throat BUT she was ALSO cutting her front tooth, AND had a urinary tract infection. (Mother of Pearl!!!) No wonder she was so miserable!! I received a phone call from the doctor, and she said that a urine culture they took grew ecoli.... WHAT!! I instantly thought of mad cow, bad ice cream and the 15 teenagers that died from it in Minnesota a few years back. The lovely medical assistant assured me it was not the same but still not good. So now my poor daughter has to have a serious of tests performed on her to make sure her kidneys and urinary track are not...well....screwed up. I think (I don't remember the details) it involves running dye through her urinary track to make sure it is running properly and then an MRI (or an x ray or something else. I don't remember) Yeah, this is going to be great.
1st: There is no way in hell Ella is going to be docile during these procedure. She is going to FREAK OUT ROYALLY!!!
2nd: I get the opportunity to be the one to watch her get tortured. She won't understand why she is strapped to a table and stuffed in an MRI (or x ray or whatever) machine, alone and terrified. She will wonder where her mommy is and why I am letting them do this to her.
Well, there is something to look forward to. (note: sarcasm)
Oh why can't my baby be healthy?

(Note: self pity and pity for my little girl)


It seem slike its been forever since I had a HAPPY post!! Sorry.....

9 comments:

JTYARDLEY said...

Oh poor Ella! When Josie was in the hospital w/ RSV during her x-rays or whatever they made me leave the room and she was screaming at the top of her lungs! i was crying just as bad. Hope they get things figured out.

Terril Family said...

That is the hardest thing to go through. We have been there with Macy in the hospital having those tests performed as well. I just have to tell myself that I'm doing it for her benefit whether she knows it or not. And at least you'll be there to comfort her when its all over. Good luck!

T Rex Mom said...

Oh, Ashley, I wish I could talk to you on the phone. She might not need all those procedures.

First, she probably had a urinary tract infection because she was dehydrated from the fevers. When urine sits in the bladder it can allow bacteria to grow. E. coli is the common bacteria that causes UTIs in adults and kids. If you've ever had one, chances are it was caused by E. coli. Usually a course of antibiotics clears it up. They can do that, and then do another urine analysis (UA) and then go from there. If the UA is still abnormal, then you might consider proceeding with the other tests.

If, indeed, she needs all those kidney function tests, you can ask for them to sedate her so she doesn't have to be awake and scared.

However, if were my little one, I would want to try the antibiotic and retest the urine after the treatment was complete before going further.

If you want to call me, my number is 208-331-9017. I am happy to try and help and might be able to shed more light on some of what's going on.

(I am a nurse and in grad school to become a nurse practitioner.)

ShEiLa said...

Poor baby girl... Miss Ella get well fast so poor Mommy can relax and de-stress.

If they do the urinary tract screening with the dye she is not in an MRI tube... which is good.
I think most of the tests kids have the Mommies get to tag along... at least that is the way it was for me.

ToOdLeS.

Anonymous said...

That is awful!! I'm sorry Ash!

Jed Wheeler Family said...

I think you should let Draculina take her fangs to all the medical people.

I hope this is her last round of misery for a LOOONNGGG time.

Trent & Tara said...

how sad i can't imagine going through that with Evelyn. You just feel so helpless as a mother.

marshall memories said...

Ugghh! Poor girl! I had no idea she was even sick! (I've been without the internet for a while!) Hopefully everything is going better for her now... That has to be so hard!

Megan said...

Hey, Allie is going through this same stuff, how did it all come out with Ella? Were the tests as bad as I am fearing?