Wednesday, March 14, 2012

And then the last straw fell

I have mentioned before that I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago. I don’t like to use it, or any medical problem, as an excuse. Like, “It is so hard to lose weight because I have PCOS.” As I eat a cheeseburger. I simply let it be. But today I crashed.

I deal with the fact that losing weight is close to impossible. I’m not one of those people who go for a leisurely walk 3 times a week and cut out my nightly brownie and the extra bulk goes away. I have to work HARD. I have to eat less than the recommended 1200 calories a day. I don’t say anything about it because the skinny people gasp in horror and tell me that isn’t healthy for you. Well, what should I do? As a matter of fact some days I eat less than a 1000. Some days less than that.

Because. Nothing. Else. Works.

And the skinny people try to commiserate with me, and I don’t appreciate it!! I know their heart is in the right place but I just want to scream as I sit down to my dinner of BEEF BROTH.

I run because I have to. My legs hurt and my feet are sore. I walk every day. I do sit ups and pushups and lunges. I try to get to Zumba. I do it because I hope it helps.

It sucks, but I deal with it. I deal with the acne, and the screwed up periods. I deal with the anemia from having a period for 3 weeks out of 4, for 3 months straight. I deal with the hormones and the mustache, and the bald spots on my head. I deal with 7 yeast infections in a 12 month time frame. It sucks and I hate it, but I make it work and I think positive.

But today. I pulled out the magnified mirror to pluck my eye brows. I noticed some strange discoloration across the bridge of my nose and on my cheeks. I rubbed at it. Maybe sand got in my sunscreen. Maybe I have black heads. Up on closer examination I realized it was “dark patches”. Like liver spots on your face. And these were not small. They are like raccoon
rings. This is a side effect of PCOS.

I was horrified. My heart stopped beating for a moment. And for some reason those few discolored areas of flesh brought me crashing down. I don’t cry if I can help it. I hate crying. I think it’s ugly and personal. I don’t like opening myself up that way.

And I cried. I cried a lot. Why? Am I not already ugly enough? Now I have to bear spots like a cheetah? If I can’t cover them, they will be the first thing people look at. Why? My first child was a text book case of a “difficult” child. It was heart breaking. It was HARD. My second child has a host of problems and is a fussy little thing. I have a car payment I don’t think I’ll ever pay off. I
have a mortgage I can barely afford. My husband works a stressful dangerous job and last night he was in a standoff with a man who had enough weaponry to take down an army. The missionaries keep trying to come teach us the 1st discussion because they think we are inactive, but we are NOT. I’m never going to get a yard and the Tahoe needs new tires that will run me around a grand.

And the majority of those who read this will think, “Well why can’t you just fix it? Pay off your
car. Put in a yard. Make your child be good, just read this book. Your husband chose that job. Just be happy with how your body is now. But your kids are so cute. Be accepting, pray harder, be better, think positive.”

I grabbed that mirror. I marched out the back door.And I flung it as far as I could. Then I picked up the shovel in the yard and smashed it into glittering pieces. And I cried some more. Because I think I have earned the right to be angry. I have earned the right to feel bad and be pissed off.
NO. ONE. GETS. IT.
No one understands. So I smashed my mirror.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry Ash. No words to be said, other than I think you are beautiful, and looking at you, know one would ever guess you are going through all that. Let me know what I can do to help.

Unknown said...

Ps. Sorry that last comment was from me, Danielle. I think I was signed out of my google account.

audreyspencer said...

I'm sorry...I am someone that can understand. It's the most frustrating, misunderstood, frightening, terrible, black hole syndrome. Symptoms seem to multiply overnight and existing ones just get worse...even with the best effort to treat them. Nothing helps...and I think that is the most frustrating part. I would gladly eat like a diabetic, train for a marathon everyday, shave every square inch of my body, and wear a ton of makeup for the rest of my life....if it would help!!!! Running away to join the circus as the bearded lady is looking more appealing everyday.

ShEiLa said...

Miss Ashley...

I get it.

I have been there... maybe not exactly the same... but I can understand.

One day Tony came home and I had clipped the bloom of every rose in our garden... they were gorgeous and I was tired of gorgeous things. I felt ugly... wrote all over my face with lipstick to prove it.

Hang in there!

ToOdLeS.

Annie Leavitt said...

oh ashley, i haven't been in exactly your same shoes, but i have been in some pretty crap filled ones myself.

i'm sorry.

Megan said...

I just saw you at Linn's and I thought you looked gorgeous and I especially liked your cardinal shirt. ;)
xoxo,
~meg

Chelsey said...

I don't have any inspiring words but I just wanted to say I am sorry and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you feel better. Love ya.

Trent & Tara said...

I am so sorry...I can't imagine that, having that condition...how aweful. I do know that I have my moments, and you probably think people have perfect lives when really nobody does. Every night I look into the mirror and get so angry at my pregnancy mask that won't go away, my gray hair, lots of stuff. Growing older and having babies is so rough on your body. I agree with Annie, we all have to wear crap filled shoes sometimes. It's just Heavenly Father's way of testing us. I think you are beautiful and your hair is so healthy and gorgeous:D *p.s. i wanted to talk to you the other night at Zumba but didn't get the chance after

scarc91989 said...

I don't know you and I apologize if it seems weird for someone to post a comment on a blog they don't know. But I feel compelled to comment because I have PCOS too.
No one seems to understand what it's like to be different from every other woman you encounter unless they have PCOS too. It sucks and, sometimes, it feels like everything is going against you.
Anyways, I just wanted to say that I admire your courage. I enjoy your sense of humor. And I truly hope that you have a wonderful year.
P.S. You have every right to smash that mirror to smitherings. Go you too!

Sarah Burbank-Douglas said...

I know this comment won't make it all better, but I want you to know that I have always thought you were beautiful and you still remain beautiful, inside and out. I can't imagine suffering with such a frustrating disease, but I do know that you are a strong woman who deserves to smash that mirror and scream at the top of your lungs. It's OK and it DOES help. You just do what you feel you need to do and don't let ANYONE tell you anything differently. You are obviously an awesome mom and I understand how incredibly difficult motherhood can be most days. Do know that your friends are here and even when you feel your weakest, we will be your strength.