Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Why Do We Have Christmas?

On Saturday evening I decided to take the girls on a walk. It was the most beautiful, grey day. Not a breath of air. The trees looked extra yellow and there was just a tiny chill to the air. Scarlet was happy to gaze around her and take in the scenery and Ella was chattering along non stop, as she is perpetually doing.
We were admiring a dozen miniature Christmas trees that a man was putting in his front yard when Ella asked, "Mommy,why do we have Christmas?"
I was taken aback. Ella asks so many questions that sometimes I just blow them off a little and carry on. But I knew at this moment, that this was a question that had to be answered RIGHT. I prayed for a clear mind and the right answer! She's four and I didn't want the answer to be too deep and go over her head.
I told her that we celebrated Christmas because that was the day Jesus was born. He came into the world so we could all live again. I told her we give each other presents on Christmas because it is Jesus's birthday, and we give each other gifts as a symbol of him giving us his life so we could live again.
She asked if we should think of Jesus on Christmas, since it was his birthday.
I told her yes, that we should think of him all year but especially on Christmas. If it wasn't for him, we all wouldn't be able to see Heavenly Father again.
She thought for a moment and asked if Santa Clause knew Jesus.
I told her yes, he did. That when Santa decided to give everyone presents, he decided to use Jesus's birthday because it was the most important day of the year.
She thought quietly again for a moment and said she loved Jesus very much and was glad that he was born and had a birthday. She said she loved Santa too. I reminded her that the most important part of Christmas was Jesus and his birth. She said, "Of course Mommy. We need to give presents so everyone knows we love them and Santa brings us some. So we can all remember Jesus and Heavenly Father."
I want Ella to believe in Santa as long as she possibly can. She is only going to be a child once. I have a small window of her having the innocent belief in magic. She will be all grown up one day and understand with deeper meaning the true reason behind Christmas, but for now I'm ok with her just being happy and excited.
I was satisfied with her concept of the reason we have Christmas. She is excited for Santa and his reindeer and she knows our Savior was born on that day. She was satisfied with my answer and went on to tell me all the animals in the Nativity scene. She was rather disappointed when I told her I did not think there was a llama. She declared that there should be and I listened to her tell Scarlet and I all about her plan to somehow connive a llama out of Grandpa!!
It was a beautiful walk and I felt close to my daughters. I hope I helped Ella have a child's excitement about Santa and his magic elves, and yet still helped her understand it is more than bows and wrapping paper. She took baby Jesus from my Nativity scene to bed with her that night so I think everything worked out ok!!

No comments: