Monday, April 8, 2013

Simple Things

I am very easily pleased and very simple things make me happy.
 
 
Last night Ella and I were sitting on the couch watching Duck Dynasty re runs. In the episode, two of the guys were turkey hunting. Ella asked me what was going on and I told her. I told her they were trying to get a fat turkey to wander into the field and they were going to shoot it and take it home and eat it. I wondered if she was going to feel bad for the turkeys or be upset. Nope. Not my little blood thirsty savage!! She said, "Yum!! I love turkey!! Get him!! There he is!! Blast him!!"
I don't know whether to be proud, laugh, or hang my head and pray for her salvation!!
Last night I just laughed and gave her a squeeze.
 
 
 
Today I was at my parent's house painting a dresser I got at a yard sale for Ella. I was washing out my brush under the pine tree with the hose. My dad's old lab came wandering up when she saw me and sat down close to me. He didn't get this dog as a puppy so I have never really got to know her. I fed her this weekend while my parents were on vacation and we spent a little quality time together.
So I greeted her with a smile and spoke to her like she's human. (A quirk my husband teases me for) She wagged her tail and looked at me deeply like she was trying to communicate. I figured she wanted a drink from the hose so I offered her a sip. She lapped at it a little and then inched a little closer to me, looking at me very earnestly. Then she gave my cheek a little lick and kind of glanced at me shyly from the corner of her eye. Then she leaned on me.
I put down the hose and spent a few scratching her ears and petting her graying head. She licked at my face and tried to purr. It sounded like a grinding gurgle.
I wish my children were as easy to please as that old dog!!
 
 
 
Some other simple things that make me happy.

Favorite smells:
Pink Baby lotion
Granny’s bread (Or my mom’s rolls. Same recipe!!)

My dad’s jackets in the winter when he used to work for NV power. It was kind of a sweaty/ coal dusty/ cold smell.
Desert Rain
Freshly mowed hay.

 
Favorite sounds:

My kids laughter.
Rain on the roof. (Preferably a tin roof)
A cat’s purr.
Canadian goose honking
Prelude music

 
Favorite touch:
Soft baby hair
Cool sheets
New socks on my feet
New grass
My daughter holding my hand

 
Favorite taste:
First bite of watermelon after a long time
Bonnie’s potato salad
Ice cold water after a long run


 Favorite sights:
Clean dishes I didn’t have to wash
The smiles on the face of my children
My husband when he sleeps
When the sky turns to grey at the first break of dawn
 


1 comment:

ShEiLa said...

Loved the Ella story... And your favorites.

ToOdLeS.