Wednesday, May 14, 2014

New Plants!!

Brent and I have been married for nine years.
And for nine years I have cried and complained about not having a yard or grass.
I know the old adage is don't judge a book by its cover, but let's face it, if the out side of your house looks ugly, people are going to think the same about the inside!!
We painted in January and that placated me enough for a few months. 

But this empty dirt bed has been like an ugly scab on the exterior of the house.
The back yard is trying with all its might to grow a little bit of grass and it refreshes my soul!!
So today I borrow my dad's truck and went to Home Hardware with intent of buying every desert hardy plant they had!!
This particular side of the house is HOT. It's the south side and the house is angled weird so it takes the brunt of the heat even worse than the west side.

I indeed cleared out a good portion of the desert flora!!

I bought this bush. A red tipped phontinia.
It was pretty good sized and its leaves will turn red in the fall.
I can not express to you the joy this bush gives me.

These are lantana.
They're supposed to spread and be able to stand even the worse conditions and heat.
I hope they're serious about that.

These are Texas sage.
They should get pretty big and bushy and have little purple flowers.

These are an experiment.
It the ridiculous winds last week, my mom's giant cotton wood tree split off a huge section of trunk and branches.
I harvested them!!
We did this in the back yard earlier in the spring with 2 we had cut off some stray trees down town.
Yes, we had permission.
 They're small but growing so we'll have to see if these 3 can survive.

Ella and I planted corn in seed cups.
Nothing is safe from the quail so I keep them on the porch and bring them in at night.
We're getting a few little sprouts of corn all ready!!

My front flower bed is surviving and has some new additions!!
If I ever buy a house again (and at this rate, that's in 10 years) I won't even look at anything with out a yard!!
I will NOT start over again!!

No comments: