Wednesday, September 10, 2014

2014 Flood

I am writing this post in journal form, so my family and I can remember it.


When I was 5 it flooded so bad we had to evacuate our house. My dad drove us out with a couple of bags of clothes and a few of our favorite toys on the 4 wheeler because our vehicles were under too much water. 
We went in pairs. First my sister and I ,and then he went back for my mom and brother.We sought refuge just down the street at my Grandma and Grandpa's house. They had escaped the brunt of the water because they had just built a berm of dirt for the field that bordered our property, and they had just dug a hole for their new septic tank!! 
My dad had to rescue our dog from his kennel. He was on top of his dog house but the waters were licking at his toes. 
We were safe and there was minimal damage to our property and possessions.
Just a lot of water had passed through our place!!

We didn't have washes and flood channels then.
This town was VERY rural!!
They have since created such things and we don't get very much water now. Sometimes it comes across the railroad tracks and the driveways get that orange, soupy mud. But for the most part, we are safe.

I went to go see the Muddy River Monday night about 8:30 and I was astounded.
I have never seen it as high as it was. 
 The dirty, stinking water was swollen to the underside of the Gublar bridge and had breached its banks at the Yamashita. It was an incredible sight to behold.

Flood water tore apart the I-15 freeway and it has been shut down for days.
It's projected to be shut down for weeks. 
We lost power for over 7 hours but mercifully it came back on about 10:45 at night.
The muggy night was lit by an incredibly bright moon.
It was so bright, that when the clouds finally moved from in front of it, it looked like dawn.

 When I picked Ella up from school on the day of the flood (9-8-2014) I was soaked to the skin in a matter of minutes. As I first crossed the street to get to the school, the water was only a few inches deep and clear. In the few minutes it took to snatch her and rush back to the car, the water had risen 5 inches and was that ominous red-brown.
About 30 minutes later the waters flooded out the whole neighborhood and the roads were impassible.
I'm thankful they were held back in time for all the children to be safe.

Uncle Jed has been in charge of building the Cooper bridge.
It has sustained heavy losses.
Good news, if they hadn't carved out that bank so far to build up the bridge and flood channels, the people who live in that area would have been totally devastated.
And if there is anything I know about Uncle Jed, he will not let something as simple as a century flood get him down!! He will build his bridge!!

I am so thankful we were safe and water didn't come our way.
As I sat on the porch and watched electricity come back on in clumps around the valley, I raised my hands to the Heavens and pleaded loudly for the power to be restored.
The next instant the roar of my parents AC unit kicking to life and the flash of the porch light showed me my prayers, however mild sarcastic at the time, were answered. 

 Here are a few pictures of the Cooper Street area.
The Muddy River in its subdued fury.

 Uncle Jed's bridge.
Still standing.

Mud and debris.
I'm glad everyone is safe.

No comments: