Saturday, September 13, 2014

The People in our Path

I truly believe that the Lord puts people in our path whom we need, and who may need us in return. I've been pondering on this subject and decided to document some of the people who have crossed my path that have made an impact. Not the obvious individuals, like family or friends, the ones who came in quietly and changed the course of my life for the better.

*When I worked in mesquite doing hair, I often did the missionaries for free. I got to know their faces and names and had a nice little bond with a few of them. When Brent and I were trying to decide if we want to get married, Brent had a certain amount of….reluctance….and we decided to ‘take a break’. I was devastated, confused and that Wednesday when I dragged myself to work, it showed on my face. I ignored my co workers, whom I loathed anyway. I was quiet with my clients. No one asked and that was perfectly ok with me. Late afternoon the missionaries came. There were 4 of them that day. I had seen them all before. I hurried through them, they were the last people I had that day and I just wanted to go home!! The last missionary sat down in my chair. He had red hair and was from Canada. He regarded me for a moment and asked simply, “What’s wrong? You’re sad.”
I met his gaze in the mirror and my eyes filled with tears. I quietly told him my plight and how I had no idea where to go from here. He smiled smugly. “I’ll tell you exactly what to do. Go out with someone else. The second he finds out you've been out with someone else, he’ll come running back.”

My laugh was hollow. “He’s too stubborn. He’ll just write me off.”
The elder shook his head. “Trust me.”

So I did. I “went out” with a friend. It wasn't really a date. I just called my friend who happened to be male and we watched my brother's high school basketball game.

The elder’s advice worked. Two weeks later I was engaged. He was transferred by that time and I never got to say thank you. I owe him a wonderful husband, two beautiful daughters and a happy life. Wherever he is I wish him well.

*Brent and I had been married about a year and I started getting ferocious headaches. Nothing I took made them go away. I had one when I woke up. I had them all day. I couldn't sleep. I took more Tylenol than is probably healthy. I had an ice pack perpetually on my forehead. I felt like I had a head band cinched around my head, squeezing my brain!!

It was affecting my vision!! And being the hypochondriac that I am, I was terrified it was a brain tumor. I went to the doctor and he assumed I had an old sinus infection that needed to be treated. Nope. I was starting to feel desperate!!

I was holding my head in my hands when my client walked in the shop. His name was Dave and he was an X ray tech at the Mesquite hospital. I greeted him with a smile. He asked as he sat down, if I had a head ache. I openly told him that I had lasting head aches I couldn't shake, and was starting to fear the cause.

He asked a few questions, “Does it go away when you exercise?”
Actually, yes, it did.
Have you tried a heating pad rolled up at the BASE of your head?
No. I just use an ice pack.
Did I clench my teeth when I slept.
Yes, I do.
You are having tension headaches. Go get a mouth guard to sleep with, use heat not ice, and take Tylenol PM before bed.

After work I stopped by Walgreen's and made the necessary purchases. Head aches went away!! I will be forever grateful to that man for listening to me, sharing such good information, and being so helpful with the medical information he had.

*I had a sweet old lady who came in all winter to have her hair set. Her name was Lou. She was a mild mannered, kind, wise woman. She also happened to be in the shop the fateful day I opened my heart to the missionaries. I had tearfully told her my situation. I am not usually so open with everyone, but I trusted Lou. With wisdom and loving kindness, she comforted me. She did not offer a solution, she simply listened and provided compassion and empathy. She taught me that sometimes it isn't required to offer a solution, just and open heart and a few kind words.

*This year has been a hard year in the Bowler household. I have suffered from crippling anxiety, panic attacks and even a little depression. I didn't know what to step to take first, or even which direction to go, to help my situation. I had gone to the doctor and had a bag full of pills, but something was missing.

My new visiting teacher text me and ask me if she could come by for a visit. I accepted and she and her companion came a few days later. This woman who I will call *L* (because I’m not sure she would be comfortable with her name in cyber space) is one of the few people who intimidate me. Actually there are TWO. Her and one of my brother in laws. I knew she was a good, kind lady, but I was a little afraid of her!! It seemed like every time I talked to her, I came away looking like a complete idiot some how.

She came with her partner *T* and we had a lovely chat. I quietly and with little description mentioned I had been struggling with some anxiety. (understatement of the YEAR) She promptly told me that she had been as well, and had been going to the 12 step program to become closure to her Savior and learn to cope with her feelings.

I was so inspired!! If this strong woman that I respected very much could attend a class to make herself even better, then so could I!! I have been going for 17 weeks and it has been a healing balm to my soul. I have since come to know this sister better and I consider her to be my dear friend. No, we don’t hang out, or text or anything. But I truly feel love and support from her and I feel like we are kindred spirits. I am so blessed to have the Lord place her in my path.

*I went to the chiropractor a few months ago for my stubborn ribs and neck. As I was leaving, I noticed a brochure for the message therapist who works out of his office. I casually took one and thought, “Maybe she could help my tension.”

It took a few weeks, but I made an appointment. It has been amazing!! Now I don’t say amazing because it is soothing and relaxing. I say it because the pure torture she puts me through is working!! She has given me some vital tips to help my tension and is just a pleasure to be around!! The first time I saw her I told I felt like I needed all my neck muscles ironed out. She took that and ran with it!! A few weeks later I casual mentioned I wish she could do the same to my face!! Haha. I have got to stop challenging that woman!! She indeed ironed my face and it so excruciatingly painful, if I had government secrets, I would have talked!! But it’s WORKING!! I am so grateful for her.

These are just a few people. SO many others have been there when I have needed them. And I know there will be many others. I am so grateful for them and I pray that one day I can be guided to be in another’s path so I may help them.

No comments: