Friday, July 7, 2017

4th of July Lake Day

 I haven't been to the lake in 4 years.
The lake scares me.
I have a phobia of natural bodies of water.
I can't see the bottom, and creatures live in natural bodies of water.
Like alligators.
I have an all consuming fear that somewhere in the lake is an alligator,
waiting to eat my children.
So if you ever feel really crazy and delusional,
just remember I am convinced alligators live in Lake Mead,
and you will feel better about yourself!!
 
BUT!!
This year I was brave!!
I wanted to do something fun with my girls,
and they LOVE the lake.
Their generous Auntie and Uncle have routinely taken them with out me.
But I wanted to be included in fun and memories,
so I summoned my courage and off we went!!
 
Kato,
does not like the lake.
He rode in the boat and happily occupied a camp chair.
I made him get in a few times to make sure he was cool,
but otherwise.
Kato does not like swimming!!
 
Brent does not like the lake.
Brent is white.
White people sear like an Ahi Tuna at the lake!!
I slathered him in 50 SPF sunscreen and made him keep his rash guard on.
And we made it out sunburn free!!
 
 
Despite the trepidation from all of us,
we had a wonderful time!!
 My girls love their cousins and happily played.
 They searched for shells and pretty rocks.
 And built magnificent structures!!
 We enjoyed the water.
The girls were in a constant state of swimming.
Because why walk anywhere when swimming is an option!!
 They tubed.
 And tubed some more!!
 They loved the prow of the boat.
I watch each of them sit with their face turned toward the air,
the spray of the water against their face,
and contentment wash over them.
Brent, who has not wake boarded in over 5 years,
decided to see if he could.
Boom.
Popped right up.
Looked great......
I didn't even try!!
I'm too old and rusty and didn't want to embarrass myself!!
 
We walked to the elementary school to watch the fireworks from there.
I love them.
I always have to wipe my eyes with nostalgia and the spirit of the National Anthem.
 
However, chiweenies are really low to the ground.
In the summer that means the very hot pavement.
And their little toes are not meant for walking on hot sidewalks.
So when I saw Kato darting from grass patch to grass patch and trying to walk in my shadow from the street lights,
I made a sheet sling.
Oh mercy pray for me.


No comments: