Friday, April 8, 2016

Rant and Rave

I try to promote mental health awareness.
I feel like knowledge is understanding.
The more we understand each other, the more we can show kindness and compassion.
Unfortunately, there are still narrow minded, ignorant people.
There is a very low chance that any of those people will ever change their mind,
and they truly are entitled to their opinion,
but if I can convince someone to at least hold their tongue,
or hold back a flippant remark,
then I have done something.

Mental health sucks.
I'm sure there is a more eloquent way to phrase that,
but I am choosing to not sugar coat it.
It sucks.
Plain as that.
Depression
Anxiety
BOTH
Bipolar
Chronic Fatigue
Fybromyalgia
PCOS

These are chronic illnesses.
They are diseases.
They are real.
And they are hard.

 A day out could be a lot of fun.
Or it could be cripplingly exhausting.
Somehow it's socially unacceptable to just feel tired and act tired.
We always have to pretend it's ok and put on a happy face.

 And while we have to pretend to be happy,
and not talk about our illness,
we have to have compassion on those who don't have a clue what's going on in our heads or bodies.
I acknowledge your problems and I understand that they are important to you,
and I will show you sympathy and compassion,
just reciprocate those emotions.
Even if you 'don't get it'.

 It's exhausting and overwhelming.
I am not seeking attention.
As a matter of fact,
I am trying my hardest to stay away from attention!!
Most of the time I am just thinking too damn much.

 NEVER. EVER.
Tell someone this.
NEVER. EVER.
Tell them to get over it.
Or 'choose to be happy'.
Yes. I CHOOSE to feel like this.

 The ever lurking paranoia that some sinister health problem lurks below.
Sometimes it's funny and I laugh.
Sometimes I'm trying to bury the fear that is real to me.

 Now I do not categorize myself as sick.
I feel like I am currently in recovery,
with good and bad days.
But I do have flare days, and no I can not just snap out of it.
Or 'just get up and do something and then you'll feel better'.
If you do not have this, you DO NOT understand it.
It's ok!!
You don't have to try.
Just be nice.
And don't judge.



Now I will agree that some will let their condition define them,
or take no actions to cope with it.
But where have they been?
What brought them to that point?
If it is truly just beyond your capability to find compassion,
or too hard to not pass judgement,
then at least keep it to your self.

And to all those out there who feel the kind of tired sleep can't fix,
keep fighting.
That's all we can do.
Keep fighting.
Find someone who doesn't judge.
Find someone who loves you.
Reach out to those who are starting down the dark and confusing road.
Tell your story.
And at the end of the day, at least you tried.

No comments: