Sunday, December 24, 2017

Laid to Rest

My oldest uncle, Alma Raoul Leavitt,
passed away December 3rd.
The last several years he has battled poor health,
 but always seemed to rally back to life.
We always said that Uncle Raoul had 9 lives and he would out live us all.
The Lord had another plan.
He suffered a heart attack after months of complaining of heart burn.
He dear sweet wife, my Auntie Tresa, is a wonderful woman that I love.
She has always treated me with love and kindness.
 
It felt strange to bury my uncle.
He was always a vibrant, charismatic man with perfect teeth.
He was always the successful one with all the plans.
 
It was strange because it put mortality in glaring perspective.
It's a heavier sadness and more tears when someone too young passes away.
But it grants a certain amount of safety.
He was so young, that doesn't happen to everyone, it was an accident.
But this was the end of a well lived life.
75 years on Earth.
My uncle came to the end of his life.
And it was glaring.
7 siblings still remain.
SIX aunts and ONE uncle.
 
The most sadness for me,
is that I never see my mother's family anymore.
She comes from a large family,
that then went on to have their own large families,
and time and demands are focused on our own.
And it is completely understandable!!
I just miss the whole mass of them,
assembled in my granny's yard,
while Grandpa and Russell argued over how to grill steaks.
I miss Aunts fussing over us and bossing us.
I miss the slow swell of voices rising louder and louder as they all became more animated and enthusiastic.
Leavitts are loud.
 
 
In the passed 12 months I have been to 4 funerals to bury 2 uncles and 2 aunts.
I have a specific black dress I wear for funerals.
I have pulled it out too many times.
I'm ready to hang it up, put the plastic slip over it, (because yes I'm that fussy)
and leave it in the closet for awhile.
 
 
Judy, Bonnie, Beulah, Russell, Sally, Betsy, Katie

No comments: