Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Great TV Debate

All mothers, doctors, parents and friends have long had the concerns that TV will rot your brain or make you eyes square. I have heard opinions and read articles that TV viewing will make you fat, lazy and stupid. Well, here is my opinion: I don't care if my daughter watches TV. A lot of TV, or movies or whatever.
I feel it doesn't count if she is JUMPING on the bed while watching Dora the Explorer. She is exercising!
I don't feel like it is going to effect her if she doesn't really watch it, it's just on in the back ground. Every now and then she will stop and pay attention to an interesting part and then scurry back to her play.
Ella DOES. NOT. SLEEP. And yes, I have tried to implement a sleep regiment since birth, but she DOES NOT conform to any plans or dictates. She is like me, and just doesn't sleep. So if she has only slept for 6 hours at night and then only took a 1 hour nap ( or heaven forbid, no nap at all) she IS going to watch Frog Princess!!
How is tossing my kid into her room, to sit in there for an hour or more before she actually falls asleep, better than letting her watch Sesame Street (learning about something) while cuddling with me and one of her dolls?
I have come to the conclusion, that schedules ARE NOT for Ella and I. We play each day by the moment. She is smart and healthy and happy. If watching Go Diego Go gives us an hour or so of peaceful co-existence, then I guess that is just what we are going to do!!

Lable me a bad mother if you would like, but Ella is very smart, so I don't really care.

4 comments:

BowlerGirl said...

I'm right there with you. Charlotte has been watching TV since we brought her home from the hospital. Now she seems to not to be just glancing, but really seeing and paying attention to it. So less trash for me and more Yo Gabba Gabba for her. (Maybe that is just baby trash? but that's how it is).

Jed Wheeler Family said...

I think I'd be more apt to let my children watch tv if they would blink while doing so. :)

Meka said...

Oh man! Schedules are not for Parker either! It drives me nuts, I can't help it but I think I am getting a little better! About the tv, we all do it! I just hope Parker likes it as much as Eden! She loves baby einstein and anything else with lots of music and has learned a lot! And it's how I get dinner made, on the days I actually cook!

The Jones People said...

Mom's need down time! I see way too many Mom's that "don't do TV" and their kids are needy, not all just most. Kevin knows dozens of words and phrases in spanish because of Diego and hums mozart while playing toys in his room! Can that really be bad?