Friday, February 12, 2010

The Ugly Day

Today started out as a regular day. I exercised, played with Ella, cleaned up the house. Ella took her nap and I decided to get ready for the day. If I would have know the drama that followed I wouldn't have bothered. I decided to do my hair curly today. I don't very often and never when Brent is around. I put WAY TOO MUCH root boost in, resulting in a sick hybrid of greasy and stiff curls. I pulled it half up, to disguise the mess. But I teased the poof to tight and had a rat nest Master Splinter could have taken refuge in. Having finally got some amount of control over that, I was successful in getting make up on my face with out too much anxiety.
I then decided what to wear. I picked out a plain white t shirt, but it was too snug in all the wrong places. Four shirts, and 5 undershirts later, I finally had one that didn't make me look washed out, chubby or hippy. But then realized the hip problem was the fault of the pair of jeans I had on. So I changed those, only to discover my shoes didn't match anything. It took 5 different choices of jewelery to find the right set. Meanwhile, my moody hair is frizzy and getting greasier, from me pulling my shirt on and off. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone else have ugly days?
Finally I decide; why am I putting so much effort into a trip to Lin's!!! I take my purse and diaper bag out to the car. Oops, forgot the phone bills. Back to the house. Again get to the car. Oops forgot a med bill I have to mail. Back to the house, back to the car. Damn I forgot the mail keys!!! Back to the house, back to the car.
Feeling my blood pressure rising I get in the car. I back out of the garage. My windows are too dark to see out the back, so I always use my side mirrors. I never look behind me. I get all the way to the end of my street. (Approximately 100 yards) I am met with a small flow of Logandale traffic and decide this is a good time to put a little lips stick on. I flip down my visor and look into the mirror. I am greeted with the sight of an empty car seat.
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I flip around as fast as I can, careening through a mud puddle and nearly squashing some one's weenie dog. I hit the garage door opener and race through the opening door. I run in the house, my heart in my throat, to find Ella laying on my bed, drinking her post nap bottle, watching the Olympics. Just where I left her.
Mother of the Year Award recipient right here.

11 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I can assure you that you are not the only one to experience days like this.

Been there... done that!

ToOdLeS.

Meka said...

Oh wow! I'm so sorry about your bad day! I always have a hard time finding something to wear! It seems like my closet is full but nothing fits well! I'm glad Ella behaved while you were gone for that short time, Eden for sure would have been eating dog food!

Brooke and Justin said...

Ashley... I am so sorry you had such and ugly day (which I totally get, and it happens way too often to me) BUT... YOU totally made my day! So even though yours was ugly you made mine great! Thanks sooo much! You are so sweet! I need to get your address for my baby shower March 6 (even though you already gave me a cute present I would love for you to come!!) Thanks again!

Trent & Tara said...

oh that is hilarious girl. you are a good writer for your posts. Yes....I have these days all the time. I basically HATE getting dressed and ready for the day. Clothes on a body that has now once had a baby and is on her second ugg. I used to care enough to curl my hair but now when I do it turns out to be an ugly mess too. Plus us getting ready takes a lot of effort now. Without our kids getting jelous that the flat iron is getting more attention than they are. ha ha. I haven't however gotten in the car without Evelyn yet, but I am sure it is about to come.

Alan and Tessa said...

Ashley you make me laugh! I'm sure you are not the only person that has done that and won't be the last!! What did the hubby say about that one!!!

T Rex Mom said...

It may have been a bad day, but it made for excellent blog fodder!

Here's hoping tomorrow, Valentine's Day, is better for you. If I remember correctly, you don't like roses, right? So, here's hoping you have a happy heart day without red roses!

Amanda Monk said...

maybe it's pregnancy brain?

Andrea said...

Girl, I feel for you. For one thing, everyday is and ugly day for me! I feel like I'm way too fat to wear anything that I own, so I usually end up in a t-shirt and a pair of jeans, or sweats. I only wear makeup sometimes. I have to do my hair, or it's bad. At least you do not excperience this often, hahaha!

marshall memories said...

Haha- I love your posts! You always have the best stories!

And Jody says- you just described the average day of any mom, your just the only one brave enough to admit it :)

Anonymous said...

You are so hilarious..Look on the bright side..at least you noticed she was missing before you got to Lin's..

Annie Leavitt said...

oh crap, that was the best post ever.

welcome to the club!