Tuesday, February 23, 2010

87 Suzuki Memories

When my sister was senior in high school, I was a freshman. She had the unappealing task of taking me to early morning seminary. She drove and 87 Suzuki Samurai. Now this little thing hardly ever made it to seminary. Somehow, we found ourselves taking "the road less traveled by" and wound up with doughnuts and orange juice, 35 minutes late to seminary.
Now, what prompted me to bring up such memories? I passed one on the road today!! It sent a torrent of memories flooding through my brain that I thought I should share.
1. Running down Dustin Nelson in the parking lot. For some reason, my sister would get this wicked gleam in her eye and the car just accelerated when we saw him walking from the church. I actually think she got him once.

2. Getting our mix tape melted into the cassette player, so we could only listen to the same 5 songs over and over and over....and over again. One more rendition of "Every breath you take" and it was going to be the last breath P. Diddy ever took!! I still can't listen to that song.

3. Having Dave Cameron throw pie at us. I think it was the only time the thing got washed. My sister flew into a terrifying rage and launched herself out of the vehicle. Dave scrambled back to his Geo and was trying desperately to roll up the manual window, that stuck and had to be held in place once it was up. Hence the reason it was always down. He's screaming in fear, as she hurdles Brianna Shirley's Saturn. He abandons the window and holds the door closed as she tries to get in to kill him. I'm still not sure why Dave, the 6 foot 200 pound wrestler was so afraid of my 99 pound sister. Maybe it's because she has freakishly strong upper body strength when provoked.

4. Above mentioned Saturn owner always stealing our freaking parking space.

5. Talking crap about everybody that walked by, not realizing that the soft top was NOT sound proof. I think Andy Stokes took the brunt of this defect.

6. And Finally: The tail pipe fell off and my dad decided to bailing wire it on. Oh yeah. It still had the indecency to come loose and fall off. Probably because it had NO shocks and we took it every where, under the sad impression it was a jeep. We got all the way home one evening to realize it was missing, again. We got back in and drove up to the fairground, the last place we had been. We were driving slow, with our heads out the window, obviously looking for something. Phillip May saw us and pulled up along side, rolled down his window and asked "Hey what's up?"
My sister answered, "Phil, have you seen my tail pipe?"
With a look of shocked horror, and keen interest he exclaimed, "What kind of a kinky pick up line was that?!"

And that concludes my ode to Suzuki Samurais every where!! Keep track of your tail pipe!!

6 comments:

Jed Wheeler Family said...

Oh my thats horrible. I'm laughing so hard i'm crying. I miss that old thing. It was a really sweeeet ride. I plead innocent to all of it too. i would never intentionally run down a pedestrian. (i hope no one is bitter)

Annie Leavitt said...

the samurai lives!

that thing was awesome-in more ways than one. i can hear the tail pipe rattling right now.

thanks for putting a smile on my face : )

Amanda Monk said...

For some reason there I find this post HILARIOUS! haha! I have a little tear in my eye.

The Yardley's said...

And to think I was always so jealous if Joshlyn's jeep! Anything was better than the hoopty mini van Trisha and I got to drive!
P.S. you werent the only sisters that were late for seminary!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved the minivan Trish! Its so funny thinking about everyone's old cars...

Vyanca said...

This is HILARIOUS!!!