Monday, May 21, 2012

Why I Love Brent

On a regular basis my beloved husband either annoys, frustrates or infuriates me. He's a total slob. He "can't" ever hear me. He is just such a man. He drives me crazy!!
But regardless of all those things that make me batty, Brent is a good person. He does not feel put out to watch his own children. He never cares when I spend money like I have it. He lets me do whatever I want. Brent and I see eye to eye on most subjects and he supports me when I make decisions regarding our children. He always thinks I'm pretty, even when I am 30 pounds too heavy or my skin is horribly broke out. He gets up with our kids when I get a bad nights sleep, even if he has to work that day. He lets me take naps, on the rare occasion I take one. He doesn't spend all his spare time out of the house or playing with his friends. He never thinks I'm selfish. He acknowledges that I work hard as a mother and wife and he appreciates it. He doesn't feel like his life ended with the obligation of family. And today we had a conversation that I will treasure forever.
Ashley: Brent, I just don't think I want anymore children. Pregnancy is so hard for more than one reason and I don't know if I can do it again! I feel satisfied with our little family.
Brent: It is. It's getting to the point it's a threat to your health.
Ashley: I'm ok with having only 2 children. Are you?
Brent: Absolutely
Ashley: Even if they are girls?
Brent: (blank stare)
Ashley: Will you be disappointed with only 2 girls? It seems important for men to have a son.
Brent: You and my 2 beautiful girls could NEVER disappoint me. You are everything that matters. This little house is ours. Or in 27 years it will be ours! Our ugly yard with the flower beds is ours. The fat cat is ours. Those 2 little girls are beautiful and smart and we work hard for them. You and Ella and Scarlet will NEVER disappoint me. You're my life.

And that is why I love Brent. Because no matter how crazy I am, or how crazy our life is. I will never disappoint him. And he genuinely means it.

4 comments:

Terril Family said...

What a sweet husband! Don't you love those conversations that make you feel like everything you do all day every day is finally worth it?

And P.S. I think that two girls is wonderful! Do what your heart tells you!

ShEiLa said...

I think you have an amazing hubby!!! Good for you Miss Ashley!

ToOdLeS.

(how sweet)

BowlerGirl said...

Totally funny, I said the same thing to Nathan once about only having girls...he had the same reaction that Brent did. He totally couldn't comprehend that he was supposed to want boys. I guess it true you do marry a man that is like the ones in your family.

Trent & Tara said...

This is such a great post. Thats how Trent is always so understanding and fine with whatever. You two seem to make a great pair.