Sunday, March 10, 2013

Interesting......

Ella is an inquistive little girl and asks about 100,000 questions a day.
She always wants to know,
"Why?"
 
Yesterday we ran into the store and saw two very flamboyently dressed men holding hands. Ella locked on to them with her eyes and I braced myself for the barage of questions headed my way.
They both had bright, rainbow colored hair and colored leather pants. Both had multiple facial piercing and one wore fingerless gloves.
 
I was picking out some apples and thought maybe she wouldn't notice them, but she did. Her little hand patted my leg and she asked,
"Mommy, why are those 2 boys holding hands?"
 
I froze for a moment. This was not the question I expected. I thought she would be more interested in the way they were dressed. My mind raced for a moment on what to say. How was I to explain the answer to her question?
 
I looked at her and felt suddenly inspired to ask HER the same question.
"Well sweetie, why do WE hold hands?
 
She pondered for a moment and turned to observe the 2 men picking out some vegetables.
 
"So I don't get run over when we walk through the parking lot."
I smiled. "Yep, that's right."
 
Then she looked up at me with her big blue eyes and very solomly added,
"And because I love you."
 
I felt a little stunned for a moment.
"That's right too."
 
She turned to once again stare at these two, who were so obviously out of place in our little grocery store. "I guess they must love each other."
 
I was speechless for a moment. I was so touched by her innocent observation. I worried what other questions it might raise and how I would be able to explain. When she turned to me again with her big questioning eyes, I braced myself.
 
"Mommy? Can I have a doughnut?"
 
And that was it. We went and picked out a doughnut and went home.
 


2 comments:

Whitney Baldwin said...

Such a sweetheart, your Ella.

This is probably my favorite thing you have written.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I love how you turned the question to her when you weren't quite sure what explanation you wanted to give her. What a great way to teach her to find answers to her questions. I love her answers. I am always amazed at the way our children's minds work.