Thursday, April 30, 2015

When Life Kicks You in the Teeth......Or More Accurately, the Eye

Last Wednesday my contact didn't seem to want to sit on my eye right.
The next 4 days progressed to not being able to wear my contact at all.
My eye wasn't red.
Just one red line ran threw the far side of it.
Brilliantly red, but nothing remarkable.
It didn't hurt, as long as I kept my contact out, but I HATE wearing glasses.
So Monday morning I went to my eye doctor to see what was burdening my fussy orb.
I figured I scratched it.
Or splashed bathroom cleaner in it.
Or maybe I rubbed it too hard in my sleep.
 
He took a long time studying it.
That's never a good sign.
When the doctor studies something,
and then looks at the other side,
and then back again,
and then from a different angle.
 
He told me my eye had an aggressive, fast moving, highly contagious virus.
It was the chicken pox virus.
It had laid dormant, quiet and forgotten, until it decided to manifest itself in my eye.
Like shingles can show up decades later.
 
It would 1 of 2 things;
kill itself,
or rapidly move across my eye, destroying my sight and scarring my eyeball.
I could lose my sight or at worst case scenario, my eye.
 
It was very early in the stages of the disease.
A good thing.
Because it irritated my contact, I immediately knew something was amiss. 
If it decided not to kill itself, it could be treated with a drug similar to chemo.
But there would still be some damage to the eye.
I had to go home and wait 48 hours for the virus to decide what it wanted to do.
If it was shrinking, it would die and I could go back to contacts and a normal existence on Monday.
If it had grown "roots", I had to start treatment and hope the best for my eye.
 
48 hours is a long time to think about what it would be like to lose one's sight.
But Wednesday's appointment revealed the virus was shrinking and my eye would be spared.
I am grateful my eye is mending and on its way back to normal.
I will never take my sight, however poor without contacts, for granted again.


No comments: