Thursday, June 11, 2015

My Taste in Art

I am a reserved person.
Many of my habits and personality traits reflects that, which in turn, my taste also reflects it as well.
Several years ago, I wanted a picture for my home that represented the gospel.
But I wanted something understated.
Something simple and powerful.
I was browsing Seagull book one day and saw this painting. It was on the lowest part of the wall, nearly hidden.
 
 At first I didn't know what it was a painting OF.
I had to kneel to see it fully and still wasn't sure.
But the quiet stillness of the image touched me.
Then I read the small brass title:
" He Is Not Here"
I may have audibly gasped and the gently draped rags instantly showed the depth of their meaning.
Tears welled up in my eyes and I knew this was what I wanted.
It hangs in my living room and I still love it.
I feel like it reflects my testimony.
Subtle, but powerful.
 
 

This week I was wandering Deseret Book and found myself once again in the art section.
I have been considering a new painting, but again, I wanted something subtle, but full of meaning and significance.
I saw this dark eyed woman with her equally dark hair, and something in her gaze and face called to me.
I loved the color and I felt like she resembled me in a slight way.
I felt connected to it and my eyes trailed down to the title.
 
 
Ruth.
Of course the artist is speaking of Ruth of the Bible.
But once again I found tears in my eyes and it felt as if a tiny wisp of spirit slipped from that painting and into my soul.
Ruth.
My granny.
My daughter.
Two strong, loving women.
I have already put a few dollars into my "stuff I need to save for envelope" and hope the rest will trickle in quickly!!


No comments: