Friday, January 20, 2017

52 Stories in 52 Weeks: My full name

I came across a lovely blog challenge entitled 52 Stories in 52 Weeks.
It outlines a subject to post about for each week of the year.
This is perfect for people like me, who have an idea, but don't know how to organize my thoughts.
Obviously I'll have to play a little catch up, as we are in the 3rd week of the year and I'm barely getting started.
Week 1: What is my full name.
 
My name is Ashley Alderete Bowler
My mother did not have an ultra sound when she was pregnant with me,
they didn't have them available then.
But she was sure I was a girl.
She had a couple names in her mind:
Katie
Austin
Montana
 
I have an Aunt Katie that she is very close to, and simply had always loved that name.
Austin was just pretty to her.
Montana had been a college room mate of my aunt, and had such a great spirit and personality, that my mom thought it would be fun for her baby girl.
A few days (weeks maybe) before I was born,
the neighbor woman came over and told my mom she had heard the best name of a soap opera that morning: Ashley.
I guess the name stuck in her mind, I was born a few days after, and Ashley it was!!
I wasn't given a middle name,
so when I got married, I kept my maiden name as my middle name.
I relate to my maiden name more than my husband's name.
There has always been a great debate with friends, family, and casual acquaintances on the proper pronunciation of my maiden name.
Since it's my name and all I am constantly amazed I have to argue to straighten this out.
Ummm, it's MY name. I'm pretty sure I know how to say it.
Alderete is a Spanish name.
We have anglo-ed it for regular white folks so it isn't so hard to say.
Therefore the pronunciation is:
All-dur-et
Not to be confused with:
All-der-eTEE
The second one is WRONG.
Yes you will be corrected.
 
I have always thought of myself as a unique individual (for better or worse)
and going from a lyrical, ethnic name to:
Bowler
is still an adjustment!!
 
Approx: 1991
Ashley Alderete & Twinkles the cat
 
 


No comments: