Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving!!!

Thanksgiving morning dawned bright and early. My mom and I went on a walk/run around the high school. We caught glimpses of the informal 'turkey bowl'. We returned to her house and the preparations began! I had the honor of cleaning our 23 pound turkey. I find sick pleasure in turkey cleaning. I love to squeeze the rogue quills out of its skin. I love to happily dig bag o' guts and neck from the cavity and proceed to scour left over entrails from the rib cage. I also give him a little massage when I season him. It my way of saying, sorry buddy, but you'll taste good!
All the food was fabulous. But I failed to bring my camera to the dinner!!

After the turkey enzyme kicked in, we crawled back to our house and slept off our meal. Friday morning arrived along with Black Friday... (cue music) My mom and I left my house at 4:50 am and headed toward the stores. Ella was sooooo good. She didn't throw any fits and was good tempered all day. I was so proud of her. I only had to fight once for a discount item. It was worth it, although I may now have an enemy out there that is twice my size, but fortunately half my speed!
This is what happens when Ella tries to 'help' me wrap presents. She tries to help a lot lately. It usually ends this way.


Above: The high school alumni game. The old men kicked butt! It was interesting to see some of the boys my age (boys? I guess they're men now!) playing. I can't believe we are all so old! With kids and mortgages.

Below: My sister in law Lezlee with the one and only Bowler grandson. Poor little guy is out numbered 5 to 1.

4 comments:

ShEiLa said...

YOU and YOUR Mom are brave.
I don't do BLACK FRIDAY... ever.
But I figured I was in the minority or they would have stopped the tradition long ago.

I love how you say you crawled back to your house... after turkey. YOU are so funny.

ToOdLeS.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up with your turkey cleaning! Lol!

Annie Leavitt said...

i don't think i'll ever rub a turkey again without thinking about you ashley. : )

The Kohntopp's said...

I ordered your scentsy! You can just pay me when it comes in!