Friday, September 9, 2011

And yet another update.....

Scarlet is doing well. All her numbers have lowered and are stable. Her kidney function is normal. She is gaining weight and is currently 5lbs 1oz. She started out at 5lbs 5oz, but they drained something like 10oz of fluid out of her bladder right after she was born. Then she lost a little bit of weight at birth, like all babies do.
We're not sure when she will be able to come home. Her doctor (who is the most wonderful woman in the world & I would buy her a car if I could afford it) said that her renal (kidney) function is not what is keeping her in the NICU right now. She has to learn to take a bottle every feed for 48 hours and then she can come home. Right now she is taking every other feed from a bottle and doing well with it. Dr. G is going on vacation on Friday the 16th, and she said she fully expected her to be gone by the time she left. That is a week from today, so hopefully some time next week she will be ready to join us as a family!!
This has been a complicated journey. I am grateful for all of Scarlet's doctor and nurses who have worked hard for her. I'm grateful for my family and my husband and Ella. I don't want to rush Scarlet home, but I will be very happy when she is!!

2 comments:

ShEiLa said...

You are so wise... rushing her home could be a bad idea... having her come home when all is well will save you many sleepless nights. Hang in there Miss Ashley.

ToOdLeS.

Terril Family said...

Oh I am so happy for you and your sweet little family. I hope that Miss Scarlet continues her progress and that you can bring that sweet baby home and hold her in your arms all day long. There is nothing better than newborn babies to cuddle! We will continue to keep her in our prayers.