Thursday, July 24, 2014

On The Ragged Edge

My friend Wendy recently had to give a talk on her pioneer heritage and was talking about the books she had read to prepare for it.
She mentioned the book 'The Ragged Edge" which about the life and times of Dudley Leavitt.
I am a descendant of Dudley and my mom has long owned the book, which she inherited from HER mother.
But I had never read it!!
So I borrowed it from her and devoured it in one day. 
It was amazing to read about the resolve and determination of these people.
I am amazed by the level of their faith and perseverance.
Their trust in God is a perfect example to me. 
They never doubted their faith, their God, or each other.
With all the trials and work they went through, it makes me wonder how I can dare complain about my life.
It made me feel so close to my family.
I felt like I remembered them.

I discovered I descend from Dudley's 3rd wife Thirza.
Her daughter, also named Thirza, married her first cousin Orange Leavitt.
They had Alma Decator Leavit, who is my grandfather's father.

I have had the pull to work in genealogy for awhile now but all of my anxiety makes me nervous to even sit down in front of a computer and try to figure it out. 
I'm not even worried about finding my own ancestors, I would like to just add to the many hands who endlessly index.


I am glad I read this book.
I appreciate all that I have a lot more now.
First and foremost, AIR CONDITIONING.
Food I don't have to grow, and if it doesn't grow, my family might starve.
Modern medicine.
Monogamous marriage!!
Education.
The gospel is opening accepted and I can have my faith with out fear.
What amazing people the pioneers were!!

No comments: