Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Happy Birthday To My Beautiful Monster

My baby is officially 5!!
I'm still in shock and denial.
Today we had her kindergarten evaluation.
She did wonderful!!
Her Pre K teacher from last year moved up to Kindergarten and Scarlet was placed in her class again.
We are SUPER happy about that!!
It makes us all fell more comfortable about her being gone all day, and Mrs. Taylor already knows her little habits.
She is VERY excited to go back to school.
This morning when I told we had to get ready to go 'to the school',
she thought I said 'go to school'.
She had her back pack out and her shoes on and was asking which outfit to wear!!
She's so excited and I'm happy for her.
She will be young for her grade, and initially I was worried about that.
And I was worried about ALL day class.
And if she would be able to eat fast enough.
And if she would get tired.
And if she would miss me.
When we had our final IEP meeting last May,
I shot these questions at her teacher like we were in a lightning round.
She very sweetly reassured me that:
Technically, she had already been in half day kindergarten since she was 3 1/2.
Sometimes they just get into a groove and then the half day is over and they have to go home.
Class will not be so rushed with more hours to complete tasks.
 
I knew all this was true.
And I knew I had to do what was best for HER, and not What I wanted.
But I am going to miss them both.
 
Mothers of young ones,
my advice to you:
enjoy the days before school starts.
Sometimes they suck,
and they're hard,
and those little ones seem like they are siphoning the very life out of your soul and you feel like you want to run screaming to the crazy house.
And then they go to school,
and everything goes by in a flash.
And then they are 8, and want to do their own hair, and pick out their own clothes.
 And you actually secretly wish for them to catch a little bug so they will let you snuggle them.
Or they turn 5 and when you ask them if they're ok to be left in primary,
they are truly offended and reply with, "Mommy, it's just primary. I think I can handle it."
And you are so happy for their independence,
but a part of you wants them to need you a little bit.
 
Scarlet's present have trickled in from extended family.
Which is fun, cuz then something new shows up every day!!

 Aunt Joshlyn gave her the most awesome dinosaur/monster slippers. Ever.
 

And she wants to wear them to the store.
Aunt Joshlyn for the win!!


No comments: