Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Parents

 
 
 
My mom and dad started dating when they were very young. I think they were around 14 and 15. They have had a relationship a LONG time!! Like all young love, they broke up and reunited on probably a yearly basis. That's high school!! But they have made it nearly 32 years!!
 
They were married December 27th, 1980.
 
I remember I read an article in the Ensign by President Hinckley when I was in high school. It was about how to help your children understand love. (I paraphrase this article, as I do not remember it in its entirety.) He stressed there wasn't a need to over talk about love and relationships into a deep extent. The concept is hard for children to understand at such a tender age. He said the way to teach your children to love is to SHOW them. Show your children how to love by openly loving your wife. Show her respect and kindness. Listen to her. Say 'I love you'. Hold her hand.
 
I feel like my parents always taught this way. Never with a loud voice, but with a quiet example. No, they weren't perfect. Yes, we fought. Yes, they made mistakes. But we were loved, we KNEW it and we were happy. It didn't need to be a big broadcast, just a simple, quiet reassurance of love by example. I love my parents very much and I know with out a doubt I was supposed to be their daughter.
 
My parents have never had it easy. They married young, had children young, and had their fair share of hard times. Most people in the same situation have not made it. But they have. My parents were officially sealed in the temple on January 31, 2003. We were sealed as a family the same evening. I will always include that day in one of the greatest in my life. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley, I love this challenge you're doing. I might just have to steal it for my blog. What a fun way to document things about yourself that you might not normally think to.

Chelsey said...

I love that picture.

ShEiLa said...

I recognize those two... actually the photo takes me back. Good ole high school days. Tony & I were married a year later on December 29th. You do have some great parents.

ToOdLeS.

Annie Leavitt said...

i love your posts ashley, and i love your parents too! i've always felt included around them and at your house.

The Yardley's said...

You have some pretty awesome parents!! I never realized how much Joshlyn and you both look so much like your momma!!!